Formal Letter

Dear Professor Blackstone,

I'm Mohan s/o Ramamoorthy from your effective communication class and I'm writing this letter to introduce myself as well as share some goals I hope to achieve by the end of this module.

My interest in engineering started young as I have always been doing well in mathematics and sciences. I graduated from Singapore Polytechnic with a diploma in aeronautical engineering. I initially didn't intend to pursue a degree. My plan was to work in the airforce through my National Service but I changed my mind during the interview with one of the officers from the airforce as I felt that I wasn't ready to work full time. So I decided to pursue a degree in engineering. I managed to apply for a spot in SIT right before they closed the window for application and here I am. As for my hobbies, I play football and video games during my spare time and have participated in various football tournaments when I was younger.

One of my strengths is that I get along well with everyone that I work with. I'm a very sociable person and I've always been known as a funny guy. My weakness is that I'm a poor presenter. Whenever there is a formal or even informal presentation, I tend to read off the slides, avoid eye contact and get nervous while presenting. I'm more than comfortable talking in big groups or in open discussions but when it comes to presentations I tend to freeze. 

My goal for this module is to be a confident presenter. I want to be able to speak in front of others and express my ideas properly. I also want to be a better writer. My writing has always been full of mistakes and sometimes difficult to read. Therefore,  I'm looking forward to learning more about effective communication and hopefully make good use of this module to improve myself. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. 

Regards,
Mohan
MEC1281 T6


Commented on Richard's post
Commented on Yong Sheng's post

Edited on 28 Jan (added hobbies)

Comments

  1. Hi Mohan,

    Thank you for sharing, it was interesting to read more about you.

    I found your post to be clear and concise as I am able to easily understand the points you are trying to bring across. The flow of your post is smooth as well, making it complete and coherent.

    I found a something similar and different between us,
    - We both didn't have plans for university initially.
    - My mathematics is horrible.

    Let's work hard towards graduation together :)

    It's a good introduction letter overall!

    Yours sincerely,
    Chang Sheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Chang Sheng,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and providing feedback. Let's work hard and get through university.

      Cheers,
      Mohan

      Delete
  2. Dear Mohan,

    Thank you for your self introduction.

    Your strengths and weaknesses as well as your goal were precise and clear. It seems that both of us have similar weaknesses and goal that we are trying to improve and achieve by the end of this module. However, I felt that maybe you can include some hobbies or interest (if you have any) in your introduction.

    For the overall of the letter, try to use compound/complex sentence rather than simple sentence to convey your message and summaries as much as possible.

    We still have plenty more lessons to improve ourselves and let's keep up the good work!

    Best Regards,
    Fu Lin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Fu Lin,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I will add some hobbies or interests as well as improve on my sentence structures accordingly.

      Cheers,
      Mohan

      Delete
  3. Dear Mohan,

    Thank you for sharing about your self.

    Your post on your strengths, weaknesses and your goal were precise and clear. It seems that both our weaknesses is similar and same goes with goal that we are doing our best to improve and achieve at the end of this module.

    let work to gather to reach our goal.

    Regards,
    Chan Yong Sheng

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Yong Sheng,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter. I am sure both of us will achieve of goals by the end of this module .

      Best regards,
      Mohan

      Delete
  4. Dear Mohan,

    Thank you for this fluent, detailed introductory letter. You cover the parameters of the assignment concisely and illustrate with clear examples and explanations so that the post is quite informative.

    I’m particularly impressed by the explanation of your educational journey and entry into SIT. At the same time, I’d like to know what some of your influences have been. Were there any relatives or teachers who inspired you or any experiences in particular that lifted your dreams to be an engineer?

    Overall, you do a fine job developing each of the segments of this post. Your honest self assessment in terms of comm skills is welcome as is your discussion of module goals, all points we will address in the term.

    With regard to language use, this is a wonderfully articulate letter.

    I look forward to reading more of your writing this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Prof Brad,

      Thank you for taking the time to read my letter and providing some feedback. I will add on to the letter and make improvements based on the comments from my peers.

      Cheers,
      Mohan

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts